Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chicken Francais




I don't know why this is called Chicken Francais, I got the recipe out of a cooking light cookbook and that's what they called it so I'm going with it. Pounding the chicken thin was quite therapeutic and fun. I didn't pound them quite as thin as the recipe told me to but next time I think I might, I can see how it would be nice to have them thinner. The recipe also called for fresh parmesan cheese but all I had was the canned grated so that's what I used. The real stuff certainly tastes different and better though. These were quite good, very mild but tasty. I'll share the broccoli recipe tomorrow.



Chicken Francais

1/3 cup egg substitute
2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. white wine
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper
1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 (4 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 tbsp. flour
cooking spray
1 1/2 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light
3 tbsp white wine
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl. Place each chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (I used baggies) and pound to a 1/4 in. thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. (I didn't pound quite so thin but I can see where it would be nice if they were thinner). Dredge chicken in flour and dip in egg substitute mixture. Place each breast in pan heated with cooking spray. I dumped the rest of the egg mixture over the chicken after I was done. Remove chicken from pan and wipe out pan with paper towel. Melt butter in pan, add 3 tbsp. wine and 2 tbsp. lemon juice, bring to a boil, cook for 10 seconds. Serve over chicken.


Total calories = 900
6 servings = 150 calories per chicken breast

2 chicken breasts + 1/2 cup au gratin potatoes + 1/3 orange broccoli = 504 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

2 comments:

  1. There's an Italian version of this dish that's called Chicken Francese. In translation, it means French chicken. Not sure why.

    It is one of my favorites though...the lemony sauce is delicious. What a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken sounds wonderful. We don't ever have wine in the house because I don't like it that much, but maybe we'll get a cheap bottle of white for cooking because that looks too good to pass up.

    And I LOVE beating the snot out of meat to make it thin! It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete