Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tomato Cream Cheese Chicken





I like flavor. If it means upping the garlic, adding an onion and spices to my dish then so be it. I don't necessarily like my food to be spicy but I need it to have a full, bold flavor. This is a recipe where the original is certainly good but with some revamping, turns into something that will knock your socks off. The original seems to be a pretty common slow cooker recipe and I've also seen it titled chicken stroganoff over noodles. Well, I try to avoid noodles as much as possible. Even my whole wheat pasta comes in at 180 calories for a cup. I can get a lot more for 180 calories than bland noodles. It's the chicken and sauce that tastes so good. THAT is what my mouth wants. I think we're just conditioned to just put sauce over noodles and if we're trying to cut calories, we often conclude that eliminating the noodles and the sauce altogether is the only alternative. Wrong, my solution is vegetables. I know we're all used to putting vegetables WITH our noodles but why do we even need the noodles at all? When I started my dieting adventure, I made the noodles and just put a small amout of noodles with my delicious sauce and veggies but soon realized that I don't need the noodles at all. Sure, it a texture thing, I LIKE noodles and I do carb out sometimes on them but on a regular basis, I'd rather just skip them. My choice of vegetable to accompany my sauce is broccoli. Occasionally I'll add zucchini or pea pods or something but then we get sort of a stir fry feel for it. I like to make a delicious, full flavor meat sauce and pour it over some lightly steamed broccoli. I get all the flavor of the sauce with delicious coated broccoli. I don't miss the noodles at all.





Tomato Cream Cheese Chicken


1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
Cream of chicken soup, Healthy Request
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 packet Italian Season dressing mix
1 packet Garlic and Herb dressing mix (or another italian seasoning mix)
3 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
1 block of cream cheese, 1/3 less fat

1 lb. broccoli florets



Directions

Put chicken into crock pot. Pour tomatoes, chicken soup, garlic, onions and dressing packets on top of chicken. Cook on low for about 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and begins to shred. Shred the chicken with 2 large forks and mix in the block of cream cheese. Switch the crockpot to high and cook for another 30 minutes or until the cream cheese is fully melted. Add basil before ready to serve.

Place broccoli in pan with about 1/3 cup water, steam on medium high for about 5-6 minutes.

Serve cream cheese chicken over broccoli.


Total calories with broccoli - 1850
4 servings = 463 calorie dinner

4 servings with 1 cup of whole wheat pasta = 643 calories



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love the idea of putting it over veggies instead of noodles. I love my noodles, but that's a great way to up the veggies and the health factor.

    ReplyDelete