Saturday, November 14, 2009

Spinach, Artichoke & Cheese Dip and Homemade Whole Wheat Garlic Pepper Tortilla Chips



Chips and dip.


We go way back. The fatty, creamy, not even remotely healthy dips and the greasy, fatty chips have followed me throughout the years to provide comfort to me. Like a couple of friends who are always there during the good times and continue to remain diligently by your side during the bad times.

These friends have been there for me for weddings, for funerals, after a bad fight, after the birth of my children, during a good book and even after the sad Hallmark commercial on television. They have been at my side through it all and I don't intend on losing them now.

Despite my weight loss and my determination to lose more, I refuse to part with these friends who have seen it all, please don't make me lose them now, just when I need them the most!

What's that? A low calorie, actually HEALTHY dip that is still cheesy, warm and oh-so-deliciously oooey gooey? Plus it's packed with protein and vegetables? And I get to continue my relationship with chips even though the appearance has changed from a fatty, greasy crisp to a lowfat, salty, baked, whole wheat crunch?

Thank you, chips and dip, for continuing to help me through my life and I look forward to a long and prosperous relationship with you for many years.
 

Spinach, Artichoke & Cheese Dip


1 1/2 cups cheese, mexican blend or colby jack
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cup medium salsa
1 (9oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained



Mix all 4 ingredients on stovetop until oooey gooey, for about 10 minutes.



Total calorie 880
3 servings = 294 per serving
1 serving spinach dip + 2 homemade tortillas = 494 calorie dinner

 



Homemade Whole Wheat Garlic Pepper Tortilla Chips

 
2 whole wheat 100 calorie tortillas
Cooking spray
Salt
Garlic pepper


Directions


Cut tortilla's into wedges with pizza cutter or kitchen scissors. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Place wedges on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and garlic pepper as desired. I like mine really salty. Cook in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes until desired crispness. Check earlier as the go from almost done to over done very quickly.


I've also made these chips with ranch powder, onion powder, or garlic powder. My favorite are with the garlic pepper but you could try any spice. Make them a mexican chip with a little bit of cumin.

 

6 comments:

  1. I too love chips and dip and artichoke is one of my favorites! Thanks for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. You've got me drooling this morning. Spinach & art dip is one of my favorites, too...and the sound of these chips...aaahhhh. I totally want to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it w/ Two for Tuesdays, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this dip. I remember going to all of the parties in the 80's and 90's and seeking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A classic dip - a perrenial favorite in my family! Thanks for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spinach, artichoke & cheese dip - sounds delicious. Must try. Thanks
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Spinach and Artichoke Dip I'll have to try this with the cheese!

    ReplyDelete