Monday, November 23, 2009

Slow Cooker Top Round Roast with Potatoes & Vegtables





There is nothing more comforting than coming home on a cool, dreary day to the smell of a roast in the crock pot. When the house smells good, it just makes me feel good! I did want to put some sweet potatoes in the crockpot but used what I had on hand this morning so only the baked potatoes went in. The gravy turned out perfectly and was delicious with the meat. There is plenty left so tomorrows lunch will be beef stew. Just refrigerate or freeze leftovers, when ready to eat, skim any fat off the top, dump it in a pan and heat on the stove until warm. Break up the meat into smaller chunks to make a wonderful stew. Add a bit of water or beef broth if it is too thick. Warm and comforting all over again.





Top Round Beef Roast
1 roast, trimmed of visible fat
2 cups beef broth (I used 2 cups water and 3 beef bouillon cubes)
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. steak seasoning
1/8 tsp. allspice
1 large onion, rough chopped
3 large carrots, sliced (or a couple of handfuls of baby carrots)
4 ribs celery, chopped
4 or 5 white potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Put roast trimmed of visible fat in large slow cooker. Add beef broth. Put Worcestershire, garlic and spices on top of meat. Add carrots, onion and celery around roast. Cook on low for 7- 8 hours total. Add potatoes about 3 hours into cooking. To thicken gravy, remove about 1 cup of hot liquid, using a separate bowl, combine ¼ cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Gently stir, turn crock pot to high and cook until thickened and bubbly. You may want to remove beef before thickening the gravy.


6 oz. beef = about 320 calories
1/4 of the veggies with gravy = about 160 calories
1 serving Roast with veggies and gravy = 480 calorie dinner


I approximated with the calories, a lot depends how much fat is on your beef and how large your veggies are. Just use common sense and eat sensible portions and you'll be fine.


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

14 comments:

  1. I could be wrong, but I am assuming you mean raw baking potatoes, not already cooked "baked" potatoes as stated in the recipe. Guess I'll find out in a few hours as I am making the dish using raw potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it says to add them 3 hours into the cooking process, which means: let your roast and veggies cook for about three hours and then add the raw potatoes. It doesn't say anything about pre-cooked potatoes :)

      Delete
    2. The discrepancy comes from the beginning, where it is worded "so only the baked potatoes went in." It does imply to use "baked" potatoes, but I believe the intent is to use raw "baking" potatoes.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is raw baking potatoes. Sorry, I often just write the recipes with quick easy steps and I guess sometimes it's not as clear as it should be. Sorry about that!! :-)

      Delete
  2. I just threw everything in the crock pot! Its starting to smell good. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Unknown I think baked potatoes is referring to regular potatoes vs. the sweet potatoes mentioned - I think she is trying to differentiate between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making this right now...everything smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was good, but my roast fell apart. I really wanted to slice it like roast beef, but I couldn't. It just came apart. Maybe I will cook it for fewer hours the next time. It was delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IMO its best cooked if it falls apart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looked great until the splenda.. GROSS. Theres nothing healthy about splenda, debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see anything about splenda, am I missing something? lol

      Delete
    2. I had splenda in parenthesis after SUGAR. I no longer use Splenda myself so I took it out. It just is good with a bit of sweetener. :-)

      Delete