Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

This is a huge piece of lasagna. Enormous. I'm totally full. This recipes makes a LOT of food. It's a great recipe to freeze individual portions for quick lunches or dinners. Packed with protein, this cheesy, tasty sauce is full of flavor but isn't spicy at all. You do need a big baking pan for this, I think that I used an 11 x 17 in. pan. You probably could split it and use 1 - 9 x 13 pan and 1 - 8 x 8 pan and just freeze one. I might just do that next time.
 

MEXICAN LASAGNA

1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 red pepper, chopped
1 can of corn or frozen corn
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chil peppers
1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can refried beans
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup sour cream
12 whole wheat tortillas, toasted
1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground turkey for 5 minutes. Add the onion, peppers and garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat. Mix in the tomatoes, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce, corn, black beans and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 11 x 17 pan. Cover with a layer of 3 tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then 1/2 of the sour cream. Repeat tortilla and meat layers, spreading sour cream on one more layer, until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese. I use 3 tortillas on each layer, 2 side by side and one cut in 1/2 spread over the open area. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.


Total calories = 3789
8 servings = 473 calories per serving

1 piece Mexican Lasagna = 473 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. If I had the ingredients on me this would be dinner for tonight :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I tried this last night for dinner with a few variations because I did not have everything to make it. I will post it up on my blog with a link to yours since it was your recipe that inspired me to make it. :o) VERY tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bestie and I have made this recipe twice now. WE LOVE IT. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete