Monday, November 30, 2009

Barbeque Turkey Sloppy Joes




I grew up eating sloppy joes. It was one of the rare homemade meals made amongst the sea of frozen meals and hamburger helper consumed at my home as a child. Meat, a can of tomato soup and some barbecue sauce. What's not to love, right? When I cook now, I try to pack as many vegetables in my food as possible. Sloppy joes are no exception. These babies are full of onions, peppers, carrots and tomatoes. I usually put celery in there too but I didn't have any today. I also love beans. So I throw a can of beans in here too. You can just add another 1/2 lb. of turkey if you don't want the beans. The beans are good though. Use the beans. Did I mention I love beans?
As usual, the bread of my choice is a tortilla. I took a picture of hub's sandwich on an Arnold Select sandwich thin. I personally think the tortilla wrap is easier to eat, much less messy. These are sweet, slightly zippy and super tasty joes even if they don't resemble the sloppy joes I remember as a kid.

 
 
Barbeque Turkey Sloppy Joes
1 lb. ground turkey
1 – 15 oz. pinto beans
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
2 carrots, finely diced
2 – 10 oz. cans Rotel tomatoes with chiles, drained
1 – 10 oz. can tomato sauce
1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
12 splenda packets
1 tbsp. molasses
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 T – Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. seasoned salt
¼ t. pepper
13 - 100 calorie 8 in. tortillas or Arnold Selects 100 calorie sandwich thins

Cook the turkey, onions, pepper and carrots on stovetop until turkey is cooked. Transfer to a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve on tortilla's or sandwich thins.

Total calories = 3015
13 - 3/4 cup servings = 232
2 servings Barbeque Turkey Joes = 464 calorie dinner*

*I enjoyed a cup of steamed broccoli with my turkey joe wraps for a total of 495 calories.
Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good and I like the idea of serving it in a tortilla. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete